Monday, March 2, 2009

Communicating Compassion

My wife tells me I talk a lot. I’m not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing, but she insists that I talk…a lot. You see every time we take a trip together I somehow find myself in a conversation with a stranger. I’m not sure how it happens, but it seems to be an almost guarantee that I’ll strike up a chat with someone. For example, we took a trip to Vinita, OK for Megan’s birthday to go eat at a diner that was featured on the Food Network. Yes, my wife is obsessed with the Food Network, and you can feel free to call her and explain the evil nature of this channel if you would like. After lunch we ran into a Wal-Mart where I then proceeded to get into a friendly argument with the check-out lady over the proper pronunciation of Miami, OK. Whether it is Wal-Mart employees, waitresses, or strangers in an airport…I like talking to new people.


It seems as if the Lord loved talking to people too. Throughout the Old and the New Testaments, He was constantly communicating a message to His people, and compassion seems to be one of the main themes God stresses throughout Scripture. Listen to how God speaks through His prophet in Isaiah 55:1,

"Come, everyone who thirsts, come to the waters; and he who has no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without price.”


What a message!! If you are thirsty come! God doesn’t care what you have to give back to Him…Just come! If you are broke, tired, dirty, sinful, or whatever, it doesn’t matter. God just wants you to come. As we are preparing our hearts for our upcoming revival, we must have a thirst for God or we will not experience Him in our hearts. The prerequisite to revival is you seeing you have a need and a desire to see God fulfill that need. Will you take some time this week to search your heart, see your need, and then plead with God to do a mighty work in you? He has communicated a great promise through Isaiah, “If you want it…come and get it.”

1 comment:

Marci @All Things Wonderful said...

I think is great that you took Megan to Oklahoma to eat! Good Job!

And...good message in this post, today.

Enough of the compliments...