Friday, November 14, 2008

What's Important?

I feel like I have grown up. Wow!! That was a big statement for me. What brought that statement on exactly? Well, during my ordination council a good friend, deacon, and member of my old Sunday School class at FBC Abbeville asked, "Do you feel like you have grown up any?" That was by no means a demeaning statement, but a recognition that we all need to be continually "growing up". I feel like I have grown in several areas (please no these are not prideful statements because I realize that any growth I may experience comes completely from the grace of Jesus, and I also know that I have A LOT of growing up yet to do), and these "growths" are helping me prioritize the importance of things.

1. The Gospel= The all important message that we are sinners headed for death, judgment, and hell, but God who loves us so greatly decided to become a man so that He may live a sinless life, die a brutal death on a cross so that he could be the atonement for our sins, and then rise victoriously from the grave three days later conquering death and becoming the promise and hope of eternal life for those who place their faith in Christ as Savior so that not by works or anything we have done, but solely through the work of Christ He becomes our righteousness before God the Father.

2. The Mission= The ability to know this incredible Gospel and then share it with all who we meet.

3. The Family= Without my family...I have no ministry. When I become more passionate about my office hours than my bride, I have successfully become a moron that is not loving my wife like Christ loved the church and I'm being a horrible example for my son.

4. The Church= God has called me to this amazing calling of full-time ministry. I'm not sure why. I'm completely unqualified, unworthy, and unable. But God in His all sufficient grace has called me. I will love the church for it is the Body of Christ. We are His hands and Feet. I will support it and it's members to do all we can do to fulfill the Great Commission.

Please notice that I didn't make this list. Paul teaches us Philippians 2 that we should be like Christ and put others needs before our own. Notice I did not mention the color of the youth room (which is being painted at the very moment I'm writing this...) God never mentioned the biblical colors in Leviticus. Notice I didn't mention the style of music, because the style isn't important but the solidity of the message in the song.

I'm glad I'm growing up in Christ...I'm finally seeing that those important issues need more time and focus. I've wasted so much ministry for the sake of preferences. God forgive me, and thank you for growing me.

No comments: