Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A 2 Year Old's Conviction

Last night wasn't a good night. For several reasons, but that is not what this post is about. This post is about the conviction of a 2 year old that most Christians don't have. I was blown away. JP, for some reason, wasn't in the mood to go to sleep last night. Maybe it was because I tried to put him in bed at 8:30, a good 1 hour and a half or 2 hours before his normal bedtime. I know, we are horrible. So I told him to go lay down and we would read a story. We read this really cool little book about a Shepard losing his sheep and doing everything to find it and how Jesus loves us like that Shepard loves his sheep. I closed the book and looked at JP. We had this moment...It's hard to explain, but it's like God connected our hearts for a 5 seconds and it was amazing. He then continued to say, "Daddy we need to pray." I said, "Do you want me to pray or do you want to pray." After he very strongly told me that he was going to pray, He began by saying, "God thank you for:

Daddy, Mommy, Church, Benjamin (JP's best friend), Ms. Marci, Mr. Allen (Benjamin's parents), Craig, Ms. Mindy (Awana teachers), Ms. Rama (church secretary), Grandma, grandaddy, Mack Mack, Den Den, Mr. Brian (Megan's boss at Sears), Mr. Tommy (co-worker at Sears), the
lawnmowers, tools, and screwdrivers

After I saw that we were beginning to digress, I jumped in and said "and thank you for Jesus...amen." He could have went forever, but I stopped. I was laughing at first because of the things he was thankful for, but this morning the more I thought about it the more I realized he had something most don't. Even at two he understands God is the giver and He deserves to be thanked. Something I think we all know, but how many of us truly know?? Does that make sense? I guess I feel that our culture has become numb to the incredible attributes of God. And not because they are something we have been taught our whole lives, because the character of God is so amazing we will never be able to truly understand who He is. We've became numb because we have satisfied ourselves with a Vacation Bible School amount of knowledge of our Creator. We need to dig...

1 comment:

Marci @All Things Wonderful said...

That is adorable. It's so funny because we have a similar prayer, each night. However, some nights we pray for James Paul instead of JP. How funny is that?!