Wednesday, October 29, 2008

You've Got Questions, We've Got Answers part 2

Is it ok to be friends with someone who is lost?
1. First let’s ask ourselves some questions:
· If we have lost friends, what does that say about your testimony?
· Can you think of any scripture references that speak to this question?
· If we don’t have lost friends, how will we ever be able to share the Gospel?
· Do we want our children under the influence of lost people?
· If we don’t have lost friends, when will our children ever see us share the Gospel?
2. Let’s look at a verse:
· 2 Corinthians 6:14-18 14Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness? 15What accord has Christ with Belial? Or what portion does a believer share with an unbeliever? 16What agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; as God said,"I will make my dwelling among them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.17Therefore go out from their midst, and be separate from them, says the Lord, and touch no unclean thing; then I will welcome you, 18 and I will be a father to you, and you shall be sons and daughters to me, says the Lord Almighty."
· What does this verse mean? First of all, we get the Old Testament picture of livestock that are joined together but have different causes. One is pulling against the other and nothing beneficial will be accomplished. Using this analogy, we see Paul teaching us that a Christian not only should not, but cannot be joined together with an unbeliever in a committed relationship to accomplish anything spiritual.
· What does this include: Marriage, humanitarian projects, or any relationship that makes you an alliance for a certain spiritual cause?
3. The real Problem is not our association with unbelievers; it’s our association with professing Christians.
· 1 Corinthians 5: 9-13 9I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— 10 not at all meaning the sexually immoral of this world, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world. 11But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler—not even to eat with such a one. 12For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge? 13God judges those outside. "Purge the evil person from among you."
· Paul says make sure you associate and even befriend the dirtiest of sinners, but he also says purge yourself of the ones who claim Jesus with their lips but practice these things.
· Paul says it’s not our job to judge people outside of the faith, but it is our job to judge the fruits of those who claim Christianity.
4. What about James 4:4
· James 4:4 4You adulterous people! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.
· James calls the people prostitutes who profess Christ and are outwardly associated with the church, but are holding a deep affection for sin.
· Friendship (philia) this Greek word describes a love-friendship with strong emotional attachment. Those with a deep and intimate longing for the things of the world give evidence that they are not redeemed.
5. The fear of befriending lost people:
· 1 John 2:15-17 15 do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16For all that is in the world— the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions—is not from the Father but is from the world. 17And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever.
· The fear is that we will develop a love for things of the world. That the lust of our flesh will begin to be fed from their habits and possessions.
6. What about Jesus?? Does He say anything?
· Great Commission
· Zaccheus
· Woman at the Well
· Woman caught in adultery
· Accused of being a friend to sinners
7. Conclusion
· 1 Corinthians 9:19-23 19For though I am free from all, I have made myself a servant to all that I might win more of them. 20 To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law I became as one under the law (though not being myself under the law) that I might win those under the law. 21To those outside the law I became as one outside the law (not being outside the law of God but under the law of Christ) that I might win those outside the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people that by all means I might save some. 23I do it all for the sake of the gospel, that I may share with them in its blessings.

No comments: