Tuesday, July 8, 2008

An ADD Church

I struggle focusing. Actually struggle is an understatement. I'm incapable of focusing. I can be doing some of the most important things and see a bag of salty peanuts and it be all over for me. Or I can be eating the most delicious bag of salty peanuts and begin to wonder who thought of the idea of salty peanuts, and before I know it I'll notice the cow walking in the pasture across the street from the church and I'll start wondering, "I wonder what it's like being a cow and all." (By the way, I know that was a horrible run-on sentence but get over it) I don't like the term ADD. Attention Deficit Disorder is a problem in our country, but for the most part I believe we claim it for it excuses. I don't claim to have ADD, but I do claim to have the inability to focus. I see it as immaturity and I would say that openly but then no one will ever listen to me again when i try to be serious so forget I ever wrote that. The point of this post is to ask the question, "Have you ever been in an ADD Church?" When I asked that you could be totally, "Oh yeah dude..." or you could have been, "I think I get dumber the more I read this guy." Whatever the case let me explain a little. Churches have missions. Missions may vary slightly, but all in all we want to see people come to know Jesus. An ADD church understands that mission, but they continually get caught up in...umm...excuse me... but STUPID pointless matters. We always joke about the church that was getting new carpet. Half the church wanted red and the other wanted church color carpet (you all know what color church color is) and they ended up dividing it right down the middle and the people who wanted what ever color sat on that side of the sanctuary. We laugh at these kinds of illustrations pastors give, but do we really understand that this is a serious problem and a lot of people don't go to church because of these kinds of STUPID divisions. Just don't be and ADD church...Keep your focus on the ultimate mission of leading others to Christ. Focus on the goal.

No comments: