Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Day 2: First Day on Site

As I woke up at 5:30 Tuesday morning God began dealing with me from the very first moment about missions, about service. I got to pray for our students before the campus really got busy but I think God ended up revealing to me things I needed to change more than anything. What He was teaching me ended up being pretty scary, but some powerful statements. Our whole week Scott, camp pastor, taught mainly from the parables of Jesus, and that morning during our send off celebration (the throw down we had before we left for site every morning) Scott began to hit us hard with a few statements:
- The Gospel is the most important thing.

- Lay it all down for the sake of the call.

So as we left for site, I got to load our van up with teenagers going to serve. I got to pull a trailer full of equipment through the giant mess that is St. Louis. We pulled up to our first site:
This house belonged to an incredibly sweet lady, who was a believer, who had a terrible skin disease. She could not be in direct sunlight for very long and her house just wasn't being taken care of. So our first day there we cleaned the house and did some painting. A lot of yard work was done and I got to pressure wash her driveway. I remember we ate turkey and provolone sandwiches this day which were delightful but we had the worst lemonade in the history of lemonade drinking. After site work we hung out for a little while and ate before worship. Worship was absolutely amazing and that will get very redundant simply because words cannot express the talent these guys had or the heart for Jesus. So I'll leave you with a statement preached so strongly by Scott: Jesus calls us to be FOLLOWERS not FANS.
Oh yeah Church group that night was amazing. This is simply a time where we as a church got to sit down and talk and share about our days since we were separated for the most part. I want to give a shout to Destiny...She had no one in our ministry in her track and she came back telling me that it was an amazing day. I was so glad to see these students comfort zones disappear...

No comments: