Thursday, July 10, 2008

DM Demolition

I learned something last night...I worship idols. This is pretty sickening to me because I thought I lived a semi-idol free life. I struggle with tons of things, but I thought I could always say to myself, "You know...I'm glad I don't have idols." While I was preaching last night (about God's desire for our very thoughts to be pure), I was struck with the cruel truth that my thoughts were idols. Let me explain: So many times in my life I think about what could have been or what could be. I could have went to a big 4 year school, played intramural sports, joined a fraternity, and ended my life working some kick butt job in Denver, Colorado. Lots of times I sit down and plan out my future and think about some other jobs or positions I want to have in the next 7-8 years. What I end up doing is dwelling on these "fantasies" and begin worshipping these thoughts. This may sound absolutely crazy to you, but it is something I struggle with deeply. There is nothing wrong about thinking back or planning ahead, but when our thinking back includes us wishing we would have taken a different road outside of God's will or when us thinking ahead includes us planning to be outside of God's will, it is idolatry!! It's saying that these plans I now have are better than what God has for me or if I had only lived this way my life would have been better. I'm learning a lot about me and this is what I'm taking away from this deep bitter conviction: God knows the plans He has for me, they are plans to prosper me and give me a good future, not a material prosperity but a rich spiritual prosperity. I'm trusting Him that where I am now in my life is where He wants me and had planned out for me before the beginning of time. I'm trusting my future in His hands and that wherever He leads I'll go. I trust Him with my future, my family, and my finances. I trust Him with my time, my treasures, and my teaching. I trust Him and I'm am done idolizing these things that I believe would bring me greater happiness. Jesus is my joy, my hope and my portion. Nowhere outside of His is happiness and happiness is only found in Jesus.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Ricky- I'm new to the blogging world, but I've been reading yours for a few weeks now, so I thought I'd make my precense known... :) Excellent blog.