Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Day 5: A Conversation With a Muslim

This day was a shocker. As we were working at site #2, I began talking to the homeowner to whom we were helping. We had some connections since he lived in Dothan, AL back in the 70's and we became very close very fast. I asked him what church he attended and after he dodged the question a few times I asked plainly, "Whats the name of your church?" He then told me how he went to a Mosque around the corner and he was a Muslim. I was shocked. Possibly the most gentle man I had ever met was...Muslim. There's no way. He does not fit the stereotypical personality to be a Muslim. As I was in shock, and completely worthless to do anything for Jesus, the Holy Spirit took over. ON a side note...this is what is really cool about God. I would have left him alone and not went any further and then 3 hours later kicked myself in the tail for being a pansy. But God took over, and believe me when I said it was Him because I'm pretty worthless. I asked him about his faith, and I was shocked at his explanation. He believed it was all the same God...just different names. And the purpose was to do good. I asked my new friend what he thought about Jesus and he said, "Well, He was a great Prophet." I told him that we believe He is God, and that He is not the same person as Allah. He began to tear up and I asked him what about sin...where did he find forgiveness. He told me more about his faith when he said there is no forgiveness...just hope that his good outweighs his bad. I began to share with him what Christ did and why He did it. The biggest hug I ever received was from this new friend. He asked me to pray for him as he searched things out and read his New Testament.As we were leaving the site he hugged me again thanking us for the work. I told him it wasn't us but Christ working through us that led us to help him. There was a reason the kids gave up a week of there summer to help others...Jesus. Please pray for my friend.

1 comment:

Lucy said...

Dude, that's awesome.