Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Day 3: Squirrels and The Saints Go Marching In

So again I arise at 5:30 to spend some time with Jesus before the campus starts hopping. This morning started really weird though. As I was sitting in my uncomfortable iron chair (I don't know why I thought I should be uncomfortable while I read and prayed...I guess I felt like I was suffering for Christ) a squirrel came up beside me. It sat there and stared at me for about 7 to 8 minutes. Me being at a super-spiritual missions camp tried to see what God was telling me through this deep experience with nature. It ran off only leaving a little squirrel doo-doo pile about 10 feet from my chair. Nothing spiritual there but I did see something I have never seen before. Now, I was reading in Acts 2 and verses 36-39 really hit me. Peter preached and the lost people hearts were spiritually cut...that is powerful. Peter had no impressive PowerPoint or video illustration, no moving music or a gifted worship leader, but he did have the Gospel and he preached it apologetically. The Jewish people began asking, "What should we do??!!" It just really hit me as I read this that I try, that's right I, try to build the Gospel on top of gimmicks instead of just sharing the gospel. That was a lot for a guy to take in at 5:30 in the morning after seeing something so spiritual as a squirrel taking a dump at my feet. We then eventually got to site and started working the day. This is when I got really close to some really cool students. Maddie, Reid, and Kayla or we liked to call ourselves RMRK Tree Service, we pretty much worked together for the remainder of the trip. After I cleaned out the gutters on this sweet ladies house Reid and I climbed a tree to cut some limbs down. We had no chainsaw, hacksaw, or any saw to cut this 7 inch thick limb down all we had was a butter knife...ok maybe it was knife saw...but it was really dull. Maddie and Kayla rigged up a sweet pulley system so when we cut the monster down it didn't crash into the ladies house. Maddie and Kayla did have a tough job in our tree business because they ended up cleaning MOST or maybe ALL of mine and Reid's mess...Thanks girls. After the lady made us brownies and ice cream she played a couple of songs on the piano for us as a thank you and we made our way to site two...Great stories for you here later. Dinner (cafeteria food is good), worship (redundantly amazing), and my team crushed the scavenger hunt (Who Are We?? Congo!!), I want to leave you a quote from the campus pastor..

--Your heart will either be destroyed by working for stuff or edified by working for the Kingdom.

No comments: