Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Bobcat Volleyball

The Olympics gave me a love for the sport of volleyball. I hate to admit it, but I think some of our greatest athletes could be beach volleyball players. Don't freak out because I'm not saying they are the best...just really amazing. Honestly, have you ever tried to jump on sand...repeatedly? They have my respect. Since I now love volleyball, I was pretty excited to find out our Berryville girls were having their first game last night, and to make it better it was against county rival Green Forest. So I got in the car with some of my students and took off to a night of graceful setting and face smashing spiking. Our girls absolutely dominated. It was a lot of fun. To make it even better I got to hang out with a lot of students I don't get to see very often and try and build some relationships. I was encouraged to see well they took to me. We were able to talk about life and a lot of it's challenges, and plus Jessie (aka Lydia, aka my little Jesus Freak) was there and I believed that helped the other teenagers see I wasn't going to smite them and condemn them into an eternity in a frying pan covered in Crisco oil. So spiritually, I believe the doors will be open really soon to effectively share Jesus with these students and I'm thankful for that. Worldly, I freaking love volleyball. Here is some things I picked up about our girls:
  • Elise and Megan are beasts. I'm not sure I would charge the net if I saw they were about to spike the ball. I can't believe a girl from Green Forest did not receive an inverted nose last night.
  • Jessie is the team setter. Honestly, if she was near the ball on the first or second touch, everyone else got out of the way so she could put it on the net for one of the two beasts. Extremely talented. I see the Olympics in her future.
  • I would never tell Levi this but his girlfriend is a ridiculous athlete. I'm not sure what her name is but she was extremely quick and controlled. His head is big enough and he doesn't need anything else to brag about.

So there it is...go support your local high school volleyball team.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

what's funny is that I've said for years that volleyball players are guys who are tall, athletic, can jump out of the gym but just couldn't make a jumpshot so their coach pushed them towards volleyball...
"son, maybe basketball's not for you"

Lucy said...

I took volleyball as a PE at Wallace. Still some of my worst memories.