Monday, August 11, 2008

P.S. You're obsessed...Get over it

This will be the post that finally pushes away my three female readers...if there's that many. And before I ever get started let me warn you this blog will probably contain spoiler content (I'll ruin the movie for you) on P.S. I Love You.

I would never say this in front of some of guy friends, namely Kevin Disheroon and Russell Tucker, but since I'm confident they never read this I'll say it...It wasn't a horrible movie, it was even pretty funny at times, but it wasn't something I would ever want to watch again. Basically this ladies husband dies, she can't get over him, and he leaves random letters all over the place for her to find and read after he's dead (he died of a brain tumor so apparently this gave him time to set all this up). The weird part is this. Every once on awhile throughout the movie there would be scenes with her being held by him and them speaking together. This lady was so in love with this man that even after he was dead she could think of him so much he would appear. She couldn't get over him. Of course she was having some schizo moments, but this raised some serious spiritual questions in my head:

Think of time were you didn't feel the presence of Jesus on your life...What did you do? Did you cry and plead for Him to reveal Himself to you? Or do you say, "well life goes on and I got things to do."

This reminds me of Exodus 32 where the Israelites decided since Moses wasn't around when they thought they needed him, they built a golden calf. They needed something spiritual in their life so bad they actually built a calf...a stinking calf...instead of getting on their faces and pleading with God to reveal Himself. Keep in mind all of the miracles God had just produced...The Red Sea, Bread From Heaven, Deliverance from Egypt, Ten Commandments... and even after all of this they still deciding to go on without God and do what they thought was best.

When are we as people going to stop moving as soon as we since ourselves out of the presence of God. I know this was a movie but there are people whose life stops when a loved one is lost or something else tragic happens. And I don't mean to minimize that, because those events are horrible. But how much more horrible is it when we continue on when we know that we are out of the will of God and that He isn't with us. Exodus 33:15, Moses says, "If Your presence does not go with us...don't let us take a step from this place." Maybe we should make sure we care as much about God's presence as we do our jobs, our family, or our obligations...Because we can't do anything well without It.

No comments: