Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Prep Time

I love student ministry. It is incredibly tough and backwards sometimes, but God has placed a passion in my heart to see young people not only know Jesus but to GIVE UP their lives for Him. So in preparation for this 3 day student speaking event I somehow got asked to speak at, I've decided to do things opposite of what I have experienced most youth workers to consider normal. Tonight, the first night, will be the Gospel...Straight up Jesus. Just thinking about it makes sense. If they don't know Jesus and we, as speakers, speak to them like they are believers then to them it will be foolish. 1 Cor. 1:18, "For the message of the cross is foolish to those who are perishing..." And if we wait for the last night to finally talk about the justification offered by the work of Jesus Christ for the "Big Ending" to see many students flood the alters...what was done in the hearts for those who were lost the first two nights? Understand that we'll preach the Gospel all three nights, and especially since I'm working with TJ, Nick, Johnny, and Courtney (the worship Band) we'll know it will happen repeatedly and I'm ok with that. the Gospel just isn't for those who are lost, but for us who are saved we hear the Gospel and are reminded of the complete regeneration we experienced at the time of justification (I'm typing so fast to get this out and I hope it is making sense...) What caused the absolute change in our hearts that made us hate what we used to love and love what we used to hate...THE GOSPEL!! So tonight it will be different: 1st night- Gospel; 2nd Night- Live it; 3rd night- Preach it...I'm a simple guy and these will be simple messages straight up from Acts 20:17-31. I'm incredibly pumped and humbled that God would use me. He uses me, He uses me, He uses me...does that not freak you out?? That God would choose to use you after we have rejected Him for so long...

Father,
May I not come with excellence of speech or with persuasive words, but may I come knowing nothing but Jesus and Him crucified. I am in constant weakness and fear, but You...You are my strength, my portion, my peace, my guide, my righteousness. May nothing in my life be done by human strength, but completely by the power of the Holy Spirit so that people's faith may not rest in wisdom of men but in the power of God.

1 comment:

Wes George said...

Sounds awesome! I wish I could be there. (stinkin' sisters) I'll be praying for your gatherings. May God's Spirit work in a powerful way to see lives changed for His glory.