Monday, August 18, 2008

FOCUS!!

I stare a lot. I don't stare at anyone or anything particular, I just sometimes get caught up in whatever is in front of me. Take this morning for example. I got up a little early to watch the US basketball team play Germany, but when JP got up and began telling me approximately 1million times that he wanted to watch Word World I decided getting a shower and coming to the office early may be my most productive option. So, I get here to the church and kind of stare out my window which seemed to only be for like 30 seconds...but it was more like 30 minutes. I live in a beautiful place and I happen to think that the view outside my office window is the best view ever for a youth pastor. I mean in Louisville, AL I had the roof of our fellowship hall to stare at and in Abbeville I had frosted glass which severely ticked me off every time I went into my office. So I really appreciate the view I have here, but that is not the point. The point is I stare at things even if they are not beautiful...or extremely horrendous for that matter. I just stare. What if I focused on God like I focus on the things of this world. What if I just stared at His glory and appreciated Him for who He is in complete awe of how BIG He is. Everyday we have a choice to either focus on Him or focus on the world. What if we focused on Him like we focus on the world? How much time and effort do we use focusing on things like paying the bills, cleaning house, making "enough" money, our looks, making sure our kids play sports or are involved in other activities (and not making sure they are always in church...ooohhh that's a hotspot)... None of these things are bad things, except the part about not always making sure your kids are in church...that's a real bad thing and when your child ends up rejecting Christianity after he/she sits in one philosophy class in college with a smart atheistic professor or ends up raising your grand kids in a surface Christianity home after you realize the mistake you made don't blame the youth pastor... but we tend to focus on not important things like they are life and death. Challenge: See Jesus...See His Worth...and express it in your lifestyle.

1 comment:

Lucy said...

I sense some hostility here. But I completely agree about making sure your kids are in church. Don't give me that crap about "I can't make them go if they don't want to." You're the parent. It's your job to make them do stuff even if they don't want to.