Thursday, August 28, 2008

Ministry Requirements (part 1)

This past week has been really convicting. I felt the challenge to read through the Pastoral Epistles (1 & 2 Timothy and Titus), and make note of all the requirements Paul gave Timothy. Wow...I had no clue what I was getting myself into. I have a friend who is the student pastor of a large church in Auburn, AL and our conversation went a little like this:

-Me (in a real struggling, serious voice)- Dude, the more I read the bigger the demand seems and it is a little overwhelming.
-Greg (being ridiculously sarcastic as he always is)- I know man...that's why I quit reading them a long time ago.

These are some of the toughest things I have ever had to swallow. I have read these books countless times, but God is speaking to me more through them now than He ever has. Here are my conclusions on the first 2 chapters of 1 Timothy:
  • Confront false teachers
  • Pay no attention to fables
  • Edify
  • Love from a PURE heart and a GOOD conscience and SINCERE faith
  • Understand your a sinner and God's grace makes you able
  • Fight for truth
  • Pray for peers, people in authority, for salvation for the lost
  • Pray with a pure heart and clean hands
  • Lead by example, with humility, and with godly fear knowing you have been called as a Shepard over these people

No comments: