Thursday, August 7, 2008

Recap of night one

-TJ falls asleep in a rocking chair in the cry room...
-I learn that Courtney is a regenerated Jewish girl...
-Johnny wants ice cream...
-Nick takes like 7 dumps in a period of about 4 hours...
This was my day yesterday before the service started last night. It was way interesting but I'm reminded every moment why I want my family to live with these guys...They love Jesus. Despite everything that goes on in their lives, they are consistently expressing their love for Jesus. I want JP to be able to see that when he gets old enough to realize it. That there are people who want what Jesus wants and is consistent in their lifestyle. Then the service starts...
-We pray, and again my mind is blown by the desire to see God move and the realness in their lives...
-TJ sings...
-Nick Shreds...
-Johnny amazes...
-Courtney rocks...
-A girl named Morgan passes out and busts her face open on the pew...
-I preach...
-Jesus worked...
That was pretty much the night in a nutshell. It had some highs and some lows. I tend to get so frustrated with students and adults who don't seize the opportunity to worship corporately when we have the chance. Courtney has a quote on her facebook, "When I'm leading worship and the people are staring at me like a television I just want to throw a hymnal at them." The idea that it felt like we were worshipping against a brick wall was tossed around in the air. God did some amazing things last night in some peoples lives and I don't want to minimize that at all, but I do want us to see that there is some reason the majority of "believers" are not in love with Jesus. And I just don't understand. John Piper says the reason there is so much nominal ism or "so called Christianity" or "in name only Christianity" in the church today is because we accept Jesus as sin forgiver because we don't want to go to hell. We accept Him as provider because we like stuff. But we don't accept Him as our treasure...as one to be savored. Tonight I'm going to try and make that as clear as I possibly can...Pray for me and the band. That we won't be glorified because of talents or abilities, but that Jesus will be magnified because He is God and He is worthy.

No comments: