Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Commitments Disregarded

I remember way back in the day talking to a great friend about TLW. He was 5 years older than me, but was still cool enough to take me home after practices or after church. We had just got home from Atlanta Fest where they actually had people sign TLW cards. The card plainly states that, "Believing that true love waits, I make a commitment to God, myself, my family, my friends, my future mate, and my future children to a lifetime of purity including sexual abstinence from this day until the day I enter a biblical marriage relationship." He told me that was the third time he had signed the card and had sex after every time. Each time he signed it he sincerely meant to remain pure, but the lust of the flesh was just too much. These past weeks in preparation for TLW I have wondered long and hard how to keep this from happening with our students. Tonight is signing night. Tonight is commitment night. My prayer is...that this card will not be the foundation of their desire to remain pure but that their love for Jesus will be that foundation. Through knowing Him personally their lives will truly be transformed. John 8:31 Jesus says, "If you obey me you are truly followers of me." I want this to be more than a number night to see how many students sign pieces of paper. I want it to be a night where students gain a deep passion to live in obedience to Christ.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tonight was awesome. I could really feel God moving & talking to people...my favorite part was the example of the man that worked at the bridge & gave up his son so that the ppl could live. & they were so ignorant to the price he had payed for their lives. I hear all the time that God gave His son to die for us but the phrase starts to be numb after hearing it so much. This example just made it soooo real. He did this for us & we repay Him by denying His name & sinning against Him every day. That just sucks. Please pray for me...I can feel myself drawing closer to Him every day & I don't want that to change. I really think that a lot of the students were sincere about signing the TLW cards. I hope so. Peace