Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Is winning worth it?

I'm a little frustrated this morning. I can't get over a tiny small incident last night. I play basketball with some guys every Tuesday. It is usually a lot of fun. They are older guys who play the game really well and are out there for exercise. Don't get me wrong they are competitive, but it never gets out of hand...I mean we are adults right?? Well, last night some guys who come but never get to play much, actually hit some free throws to get to play. Then it all started. I'll admit our team was loaded and it was never fair in the first place but two guys from the other team just started screaming at each other ridiculous cuss words. Yes there were kids watching there dads play while two morons decided who was worse in a 3 grade shouting match. I'm sorry but that really gets to me. We have no desire to even act like we have sense and class anymore. I know what you are thinking. Ricky, this is pretty mean and why didn't you be the super spiritual one and talk to these guys about Jesus!!?? I know I probably should have a little more love in my heart than I do now, but my flesh was in overdrive last night...and today. Whenever I see these guys again I want to love them. Probably the same thing is going to happen next Tuesday. How will I act? Will I put to death my sinful attitudes and actions so these guys can see light? I want to so much. When I think about last night and why exactly they were fighting it makes me realize just the messed up view we have on life. We'll fuss and fight for things that don't matter just to hear someone say you are right. Basketball is fun and winning is great, but Jesus never let me compromise my testimony over it. The same thing can be related to our church business meetings or deacon meetings or committee meetings. Don't compromise your witness to be right. An incredibly smart man once told me, "You can be right, but if you're rude...you're wrong."

No comments: