Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Confessions of a Youth Pastor

I watched a sermon series done by Oak Leaf Church in Cartersville, GA, and the Pastor did a series called "Confessions of a Pastor". He seemed to be really relieved to get some things off his chest. In the ministry, people sometimes have unrealistic views of who you are. They forget you are a human that battles the sin nature every day just like the rest. I get so frustrated when a student says, "I wish I could be more like you, just closer to Jesus." The truth is Jesus does NOT want anyone else like me...he wants you to be like Him. I feel the need to just open up about some of my personal struggles. Here are a few confessions:

  • I absolutely hate talking on the phone.
  • I think the song "Realize" by Colbie Callait could be one of the greatest songs I've ever heard.
  • Sometimes me and Megan fight.
  • Prayer is seriously a weak point in my walk with Christ.
  • I have family that are spiritually lost that I have yet to share Christ directly with.
  • I eat WAY TOO much.
  • I'm jealous of people who can play guitar.
  • David Bradshaw...wait...this ones tough...David Bradshaw is my role model...there I said it.
  • I don't wear a seat belt...ok that one is going to get me in some trouble.

I feel a lot better now. You see I'm human, but God has given me this insatiable desire to be close to Him because He chose me. I still do and say some really stupid things, but grace is a beautiful concept. Romans 5:18-21 says:

18Consequently, just as the result of one trespass was condemnation for all men, so also the result of one act of righteousness was justification that brings life for all men. 19For just as through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous.
20The law was added so that the trespass might increase. But where sin increased, grace increased all the more, 21so that, just as sin reigned in death, so also grace might reign through righteousness to bring eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

I love all you guys so much. Please remember...don't strive to be more like me, Bro. Scott, John Piper, or anyone else. Desire to be just like Jesus.

No comments: