Thursday, April 3, 2008

DM Demolition

Well, Last night was the first night in a LONG time I kind of lost my cool with a couple of students. It was before we really even got started. Through the announcements and opening I noticed that their minds were just out there. I understand that these guys are only 14...15 years old. The respect issue in Alabama was never a problem, but for some reason up here kids are just raised differently. Anyway, they were doing nothing major, but I knew if we didn't shut it down at that very moment a lot of students were going to be distracted. Before I said anything, Al Jackson, the Pastor of Lakeview Baptist in Auburn, AL, popped into my head and said, "Blessed Subtractions." I used to hear him say that when referring to church growth. Sometimes people have to leave before you can grow. So I called the kids out. Told them it was because of their lack of respect and reverence for God more students weren't coming to Jesus. I know. Harsh. So I backed up and added it was because of all of our nonchalant attitudes about Jesus that the vast majority of Berryville schools are lost. It actually turned into a great opener that drove the point I was going to try and get across all night. Worldly things, good or bad, will hurt your relationship with Christ if you make them your idol. We are so worried about our cool points, our relationships, our activities, an so many other things that Jesus and our relationship with Him is on bottom. Our relationship with Christ is a progressive thing. We have to do more than give him an hour a week. We love the stuff that comes along with Jesus, the peace, good feelings, fellowship, trips...What we do is worship the GIFTS rather than the GIVER. Anyway that night turned out great. Those students came and apologized and I believe many others were convicted by the Holy Spirit about their shallowness in Christ. To see a student realize sin...and repent...is beautiful. The sound of bitter weeping over the realization surface Christianity...is beautiful.

A quick shout out to the TJ Mauldin Band:
We worshipped to the new cd. Letting Go, I Can't Help but Worship, and Wasting Away...it's a great cd that was truly made out of your guys love for Jesus. I can't wait to see you guys in August. Blog World check out their myspace and buy that cd.

No comments: