Friday, May 30, 2008

DM Demolition

Going to Alabama today. I’m in the airport right now, and before I get the books out and start knocking down some philosophy I thought I give you a quick recap of last night. We didn’t have our student services, but we went to First Assembly to the concert my buddy Wes put together. Listen this dude is a pro…a seasoned student ministry vet. He brought in Leyden from Hot Springs, a quality band with quality hearts for worship. I’m not sure how many students all together there were (the seasoned youth pastor did forget to count) but we brought 24. Let me give you a run down of last night. The band was definitely quality. Their originals were really good, they communicated well with the students during the concert, and afterwards spent some time just getting to know everyone. That is always a sign of a true band. If you bring in a group to do whatever…lead worship, concert, or speak and the only time you see them is when they are doing what they were called to do, don’t bring them back. People with real hearts for the ministry always communicate with students before and after their “show”. I really appreciated that about Leyden. I would rather have an average band or speaker who spends time with my students than a captivating one that never communicates before or afterwards. Ministry is personal, and to be successful the students or whoever must know you are real off and on the stage. That’s why I love Wes and if God did call us somewhere, he is one I would definitely bring in to speak. The guy is genuine. I got some good posts for you guys while I’m gone. God has been really moving in me and how I personally do ministry and I’m going to guess that it is applicable to a lot of you guys. Keep checking in.

2 comments:

Wes George said...

Thanks for the "props"! I'll pay you later. Oh, and I did get a count with the tickets, I just didn't have them immediately. We had approximately 145 plus a few staff. Enjoy your "sabatical."

Anonymous said...

Hey there!

I'm not sure if we met but my name is Kyle Thurman. I'm one of the guys in the band LEYDEN. WOW! What can I say back to an AWESOME compliment like that! That lifts us up so much as a band and as individuals! We LOVED worshiping with yall! God showed up in there didn't He!! It was so refreshing for us to worship again! And all the students engaged so much! It was AWESOME!!! You have a wonderful group of youth! One of your students sent me the link and I was stunned reading this! You have no idea how much that means to me! I totally agree with you on everything you said about ministry too! You pretty much summed it all up. Thanks again so much! Hey would you mind if I put what you posted on your blog on our myspace? If not I totally understand. Hope to hear back form you soon! Thanks!

By the way, my email is kyle@leydenmusic.com if you ever need a band for anything please let us know! We would LOVE to work something out with you!


In Christ
Kyle Thurman
LEYDEN