Monday, May 12, 2008

A Quick Mom Thanks

So yesterday was Mother's Day. The service here at Southern Heights was really good. Ms. Kim got up and recognized all the mom's and a few of the guys in the service passed out some really good cookies (I snuck one). Then it happened. I'm not sure why or how I get those feelings, but I seemed to always know when something funny is about to happen. One of those moments where I lose it on stage and everyone in the church is looking at me wondering what the weird guy has thought of now. After the cookie passing out shindig, a parade of kids began to march around our sanctuary holding signs like "I love you mom" and "You're the greatest". JP is just 2 years old. Surely they wouldn't give him a sign and let him walk around on what has become his on personal track field. Seriously, JP cannot go into the church without thinking he has to run his 40 yard dash. Anyway, I knew JP wouldn't be walking, then I saw Benjamin, JP's best friend. Benjamin is the good kid that JP influences in a bad way. I begin to smile not because I think this is cute, but because in my mind I saw JP whacking some deacon in the back of the head with the "I love you mom" sign they foolishly gave the seemingly innocent child. While he is walking toward the front I kind of turn around because if he sees daddy, JP is getting on the stage. This was a sweet moment in our church and I didn't want the "youth minister's kid" to mess anything up. Well, it's clear till he sees Megan and of course mom picks him up. I'm thinking it's all ok she'll take him to the nursery and we will be safe from embarrassment. Then the trusting mom makes the mistake and trusts the child. Thinking JP will walk the rest of the way with Benjamin she puts him on the floor. JP being clever acts like he is going to walk right beside his best friend, then makes a straight left cut heading away from mom and toward the crowd. I see this in slow motion. I have many thoughts on what was going to happen next.
  1. JP was going to let out his freakish devil laugh exposing his true nature to the church.
  2. He was going to face plant in the carpet and everyone was going to think we were bad parents.
  3. Megan, my lovely wife, was going to bust it chasing after him in heels.
  4. JP was going to take off down the aisle turning this sweet moment into, "I can't believe we hired a guy with a kid like this" conversation.

Thanks to my sweet, swift, suspecting wife he was captured before he reached full stride with one hand around his waist and the other around his mouth (muffling the devil laugh). So mom saves mother's day. I love you Megan. thank you, not for everything you do, but for doing everything.

And to my mom...I love you a lot. Thank you for always being at my games, not killing me when I did some stupid stuff, and understanding why I wanted to marry this incredible girl. You made life too easy. Thank you for taking care of me when I was sick and cooking pretty much whatever I wanted to eat. Thanks for semi-understanding why we came to Arkansas:) I can't wait to see you guys in a few weeks.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm cracking up out loud, and I'm at Work~! :)

Anonymous said...

sorry this is "anonymous" Lisa W

Anonymous said...

I just read this as I am heading out this morning...I really needed a good laugh! I can just see my little guy making a beeline around the church in sprinting fashion.
--Chad

Marci @All Things Wonderful said...

I just read this to Allen...We were both laughing outloud. That is a very funny account of the event. JP does not influence Benjamin in a bad way. I'm thankful that they have each other. Benjamin is crazy about JP. Megan did handle the situation, very well. Good Job on the compliments to her. :)

Anonymous said...

OK...This post is way to funny. Olivia, JP, and Benjamin were so excited to get to go into big church and carry a sign.

I do need to know what Hallmark card you got the saying "thank you, not for everything you do, but for doing everything." That's really really good!
KP