Friday, May 9, 2008

Confession: Cherry Pie

Sometimes I feel like a horrible parent. I have moments where I just quit thinking and do some of the dumbest stuff ever. Do you know what I'm saying?? There could be this incredibly huge list I could write out for you, but to be honest it is kind of depressing the more I think about it. But here's one more to add to the confessions of a youth pastor.
So here it is: It started out all cute. We all thought it was so funny, then we started to notice the changes. His ocassional request turned into constant demands. Sometimes we would give in, and allow the cycle to continue. We allowed another taste of addiction. You see our son is addicted to Guitar Hero. Specifically, he is addicted to Cherry Pie. I'm not sure when the obsession with this particular song happened, but for the past two days it has been a continuos, "I wanna pway cherr pie daddy". We should have seen it coming. So you see...Even as a youth pastor I do many stupid things. We have started denying the requests to play guitar hero and therefore have began his treatment. I know what a lot of you are saying, "Ricky, dude, you over reacting." Maybe I am. But we have made a comittment to remain strong on this issue.

Disclaimer-- Please know that this is not a serious post. Do not call, write, email, or comment on how bad of a parent I may be. Also do not request for the termination of my position in the ministry. My son does love to play guitar hero, but I place the blame for his obsession solely on Phillip Weems, The TJ Mauldin Band, The students of Southern Heights Baptist Church, and Megan Sowell:)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Sweetie, I believe that your disclaimer is false. I think you forgot to mention yourself in the list to blame. But, I do agree we need to remain extremely strong on this subject. I never knew a child this young could be obsessed with something so bad. I love you!

Lucy said...

Might I suggest a little "Pour Some Sugar on Me"? It probably won't wean him off of it but it would give you a break from the same song.

Marci @All Things Wonderful said...

Okay, that is funny stuff. I feel a little better about myself for not have a very clean toliet in B's bathroom!
JP is so funny! I'm so glad he is Benjamin's buddy.