Monday, May 19, 2008

Moses and the Exodus

I'm NOT a TBN fan. I just want to make that clear up front. Although, sometimes I do flip by just to see if I can catch the pink haired lady on. Last night as my search for the over dramatic colored haired lady began I flipped over and for some reason got caught up in a TBN movie. I'm not sure if it was the Ten Commandments or not (I know...how can a youth pastor be sure if he has never seen the stinking Ten Commandments. That has got to be a requirement to be in the ministry), but it was a movie of Moses leading the people out of Egypt. I've read the story tons of times, but I don't think I ever truly understood how hard that must have been for Moses. We like to think about ourselves in that spot...hearing from God, talking to Pharaoh, parting the Red Sea, all the glamorous stuff. I've never really thought about how hard all of the questions and insults from the very people you are leading out of slavery would have been until I wanted to punch one of those guys in the face. Seriously, Moses leads them out of freaking slavery and they start complaining about water after they see the waters become blood, a plague of frogs, lice, flies, boils, livestock disease, hail, locusts, darkness, and then the death of the firstborn. All of these things effecting the very people oppressing them and not the Israelites. They are all excited and pumped about freedom but as soon as something difficult happens they start whining. DUDE, I WAS SO MAD LAST NIGHT!! I can't believe a TBN movie got me this worked up. There were several things after that that stood out to me. When the Egyptians began pursuing the fleeing Israelites and they come to the Red Sea. They began to fuss, "Moses, you moron!! You have led us into a trap!!" What happens?? The Sea begins to PART!! Do you understand how ridiculous that would have been to see that. They all run with joy on the sea floor, the waters then collapse on the Egyptians, all are safe, and then the Israelites complain again about having to live in the desert when they should know God is going to take care of them. I can't help but think we are a lot like the people I wanted to karate kick in the face last night. We have seen God do so many amazing things, and they are so many times where we see just how amazing He is, and then one thing goes wrong and we began to say, "God doesn't care about us." Lets work on not being such big babies. I need to learn that God is in control and through good times and tough, God is God. I trust Him.

1 comment:

Lucy said...

One of our favorite games is to flip by a TBN movie and see who can guess which Bible story it is and who can pick out what's not actually in the Bible first. Good times.