Friday, September 5, 2008

Friday Five

As you guys I know I am back in school. I have finished up week 3 assignments, and I have gotten a head start and began writing my papers for week 4. Just so you too can know what I am having to deal with, I decided to give you 5 of the toughest subjects I have had to work my way through (warning- these are very sensitive, thought-provoking subjects. These are subjects we must constantly remind ourselves that we must believe what the word says and not "how we feel" on the subject):
  • What is the purpose of the church? Is it for believers? Is it for non-believers? The question is not "what is the church?", but rather "Why does the church exist?"
  • What is the nature of hell? Is it an everlasting place of fire and torment? Is it a place where you suffer for a time and then cease to exist? Don't be so quick to answer...there are some good arguments for both sides.
  • Is man completely unable to do anything good? Did God choose some and not others? When Christ died on the cross, was that atonement sufficient for all or just the elect? Are the elect unable to resist God? Will all believers presevere till the end?
  • What is the minimal amount of knowledge someone must have to be saved?
  • What happens to those who never hear the gospel? Do they die without an opportunity to respond to Christ, or is there death after salvation for some?

I told you to be ready. These are just some of the things that I have been dealing with on a daily basis here for the past 3 weeks. I know that these subjects can definitely spark some heated discussions, but please know that is not my purpose. I just wanted you to know that I am dealing with some really tough things in scripture right now, and I would love it if you prayed for me as I figure out what I believe and why I believe it. I guess another main point in writing this post is for you to understand that what you hear from the pulpit or from the tv or from the articles may not always be biblically correct. Search it out for yourselves. Gather all the passages of scripture that you can find on a certain subject and read and pray. To be honest I have pretty much established myself where I stand on each of these subjects and if you would like to know what I believe and why, I'll be glad to tell you. Just know I am working hard in to be the best possible shepard I can be one day. Here is a verse for all you others who may have some influence on people spiritually...which would be ALL OF YOU!!:)

Ezekiel 3:17-1817 "Son of man, I have made you a watchman for the house of Israel. Whenever you hear a word from my mouth, you shall give them warning from me. 18 If I say to the wicked, 'You shall surely die,'and you give him no warning, nor speak to warn the wicked from his wicked way, in order to save his life, that wicked person shall die for his iniquity, but his blood I will require at your hand.

No comments: